Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Paddy'O We'll Miss You

Patrick Edward Riney Sr., "Uncle Pat" to me, Paddy'O his pen name, passed away yesterday.  Uncle Pat was a true Patron of the Riney family.  He was the kind of person we all looked to for strength and guidance...even when we didn't know it.  I saw him more than a year ago at Uncle Keith and Aunt Joan DiMaria's wedding anniversary party and I approached him the way I used to approach my dad's brothers when I was younger, with great respect.  He seemed genuinely happy on that day.

Uncle Pat was a great poet.  I remember his book The Equine Me proudly displayed in my parent's living room.  My dad was very close with Uncle Pat.  He treated Pat like a brother and a friend.  Uncle Pat was actually my cousin, but because he was so close in age to my parents we always knew him as "Uncle Pat".

As I run through all the memories I think about my Aunt Patty, Patrick, Shaun, Kelly, Kevin, and their families, and how they must be grieving.  My heart goes out to you.

Cheers, Uncle Pat.  You will be greatly missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment