Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My apartment and stuff...

I'm so internet-challenged that I had to go to my friend Lee's blog to get to my own. 
Check his out, it's http://onequarterblind.typepad.com

Apparently, my sister Renee and broseph-in-law Chuck were driving home from something in Okemos, MI the other day and wondered where I was living.  They knew I moved to Hilo, but where am I in Hilo?  A dorm?  A house?  A bush by the side of the road?

No to all.  I live in an apartment, sort of.  It's in a two story dwelling next to a house on a whole lot of land with cows and roosters ("good morning you bastards!" I yell to them when they wake me up at 5 am) and wild pigs and goats and sheep and many other critters that inhabit the wild in remote areas.  I'm about 6 miles from the "downtown" of Hilo, up a winding one lane road, past some beautiful vistas overlooking Hilo Bay, nearly at the very end of the road.  Anyway, I inhabit the ground floor apartment, which feels a bit like an old strip-mall store with some bamboo furniture spread out for me to type out my blog postings on, and bad florescent lighting.  If I can ever figure out how to add pics to this blog I'll show you....if I figure it out before I move in 2 weeks.  The view's great out the back, but I don't have much of a view from inside.  The blinds are see-through so at night I feel like my neighbors are eating popcorn outside the window where I can't see them but they can see me, looking for some kind of entertainment.  Yes, this is what goes through my mind.  Could be true, probably not.

As I started to say earlier, I'm moving already.  This was a great place to lay my head for a few weeks but I found another place a little closer to town, without vinyl floor moldings and commercial vinyl tile, and with blinds that live up to their billing.  I think I'll be a little more comfortable there, but who knows.  It's on the second floor, and if there's one thing I've realized about myself it's that I like to live on the top floor, or at least not the bottom floor.  Yes, I've realized that.  Not that I'm uncomfortable here, but I'm always on the search for ultimate comfort.  Ha, nooooo, not really, just seemed funny to say, "I've found Ultimate Comfort! Extreeeeme Comfort!!".  This place isn't bad, but somebody offered me the other place so it was an easy switch.

Back to this place:  My neighbors seem nice, but I don't see them often.  I say hello to my cow friend (actually a lone bull, probably kept away from the cows right now...for whatever reason...) on my way to school.  I got pretty close to him the other day and he jumped a little and came toward me, on the other side of the fence thankfully, as if he wanted to communicate something to me.  He probably wanted to say, "one more step and I'm gonna pulvarize you you little shit!".  But in my mind he said, "hey, whatcha doing?  I'm a bull.  See the horns?  A bull."  He seemed playful, really, he did.  Don't worry mom, I'm not going to try and ride him.

Anyway, that's my blog for today.  School's going good, or is it well?  Good, I think.  I'm tired.  'Nite.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the description of your current home, Mike. It doesn't sound very homey, so I hope your next place provides you more comfort. But I'll bet you'll miss the roosters and the bull.

    ReplyDelete